9.19.2011

"Let them eat cake"... but I don't want any.


For the past two weeks I have been in my Specialty Cakes class. For those of you who don't know/understand how my schedule works for school, I'll explain. When you are a Baking and Pastry (BPA) student or Culinary student, you are enrolled in Labs. Your first year you have two out of three trimesters in labs and one academic term. Your second year you have one term of labs, one term of academics and one term of internship. Each section of labs has 5 different subject classes (i.e. vales, chocolates, breads, sugar artistry.. etc.). Each subject lab lasts for 9 class days. We have quizzes for the first 4 days and a large homework project due usually day 7. Day 8 and 9 are a final test and our practical which tests the skills we are learning in class.


ANYWAYS... I just finished my 9th day of Specialty Cakes. The class was a struggle for me, considering I do not want to be a cake decorator and I honestly have no desire for even eating cake, ever. I failed half the quizzes which is soooo not like me. I tried my hardest to study and for some reason couldn't get it. But the last few days of class it just clicked. I was making better product and I think I was understanding everything better. Chef Zach even remembered my name! In the end, I got a B+ in the class which I am entirely content with.

Each day we worked on a different torte or cake. Here is a progression of each cake.


Crispy Coffe Torte 
with 
Marzipan Rose 

 Praline Torte 


Lutetia Torte



Final Project: Wedding Cake
We were required to do the piping shown on the bottom two tiers, but we could choose our top tier and colors. 





Final Cake #2: Anniversary Cake
Single tier cake, rolled fondant, handmade gumpaste flower bouquet. 

I was very unhappy with my writing, but loved the rest of the cake. 

So proud of myself with my gumpaste roses!!

If any one out there in blog-land would like recipes of any of the tortes, cakes, butter creams, marzipan or gumpaste, let me know and I would love to share my newly learned knowledge. 

Until Next Time,

Jasmine 


No comments:

Post a Comment