8.12.2011

Happy Birthday Jack.. x3!

My mom and I have always loved planning parties, and I'd say we are a pretty good team. Through the past few years we have learned some tricks and expanded our endeavors into bigger and slightly more ridiculous things. And because of this birthday parties have always been fun. I've had some awesome parties in my time, a 50's Sock Hop, Dance Party, and a rocking Sweet 16. But there is a rule here in our house: if you have a big birthday one year, the next year is a small family party with one or two friends. Cake and Ice Cream stuff. Somehow Jack, regardless of that rule being in place, pulled another big birthday year. After his huge Nerf War party last year he talked mom into yet another awesome (and big party). Not only did he get one party, or two but THREE parties this year. For most children ( more the parents for that matter) one party is plenty, but no, three parties.  And so I will bring you through the journey of what I like to call, " Jack's Ridiculous Birthday Week Extravaganza" One heck of a way to turn 9 if you ask me. 

Sky Zone 

On Jack's actual birthday we were still camping, so we left early that morning to get home to celebrate. We had a big crew still with Jordan and Frenchy in town so we wanted to do something fun! Jack begs to go to Sky Zone constantly and since J or French hadn't been before we said hey, why not. Before we went we had cake and ice cream for dinner ( and child's or pastry chefs dream). I made a sloppy cake with some cream cheese whipped frosting. I love this look! 

He is so grown up. 


Another unspoken rule for birthday parties is that the birthday kid MUST shove their face in a piece of cake. It is something that I started when I was Jack's age and it just kinda stuck. 


We had a blast as Sky Zone with Aunt Tammy, Ian, Dad, French, J, Chloe and I. Somehow I managed to get no pictures of Jack tho? 

On top of the three parties Jack scored big when he got the electric scooter he has been dying to get his hands on. 
A Wale of a Tale- American Birthday Theater 

A friend from church Rachael Lewis is starting a company called American Birthday Theater. The company does birthdays for kids who like to act and put them as a the star of the show where their friends at the party act along with them. It's a cool concept, and I got a chance to help her start with this show as one of her adult actors. She asked if Jack would be a Guinea Pig for her show "A Whale of a Tale" the story of Jonah. So Jack and I learned all the lines and we got to test out everything! 

The kids got to decorate their sailor hats, learn the songs and each kid had one or two short lines, practice and at the end do a show for the parents! 

^^ That is my sad attempt at a whale cake 

FOOD FIGHT 

Now here is the good stuff. Last year, I had this brilliant idea to have a food fight party, cause seriously, who EVER gets to be a part of a food fight. All those movies where the lunch room spontaneously brakes out into food fights is filling our brains with a false sense of hope here! So when I came time to planning Jack's Birthday I reminded my mom that she said we could do this for real, cause I mean what kid doesn't want to throw food at each other with full adult permission. And so let the fun begin..

Today we made sooo much food. Many people had told us that this is a waste but we did go really cheap with it all. We bought all the food at the Dollar Tree ( pretty much my favorite store on the planet) and made all the mashed potatoes and pudding with water. We made spaghetti, meatballs, mashed potatoes, jello, pudding, peas, and filled squirt bottles with mustard and ketchup. 


When the all the guests arrived we did everything backwards. We started with presents and played some games, then we ate dinner. We fed the boys in courses: chips, hot dogs, cake and the spaghetti. Spaghetti was a fake course that we passed out to have Jack start the food fight. 

I really have no words to explain the brilliance of this mess. Just look for yourself. 

Mom even joined in.


The boys were so messy we had to literally hose them down. 



After the food fight we had a target shooting contest with meat balls! The kids were so good! Chloe even got a bulls eye. 
All I can say is good thing Dad was out of town, because he would have flipped if he saw the start of his  backyard. I'm honestly a little scared to see what happens when he comes how tomorrow and sees smashed noodles dug deep into his grass.. 


I love once in a opportunity like this. Those kids can grow up and legitimately say. " I was in a food fight when I was a kid." So cool.


Until Next Time,

Mustard Face. 




No comments:

Post a Comment