4.27.2012

To Journal or not to Journal, That is the question.

I've always been one of those people who has been jealous of people who journal. People who open up their cute little journal and scribble down thoughts emotions doodles and deep intellectual conclusions about God and the world. I start a journal keep it doing for.. Um.. one day.. and never pick it up again.

I often have the urge to write things down personal thoughts that I can't post publicly here to my blog but I don't have the tension span. I'm like a squirrel.

Thats also why I have trouble praying alone, I get so easily distracted with the things I'm praying about.

So to cure my journal desire issues I went to Pintrest, naturally.

I found a brilliant idea where you write down the Peaks, Pits, Praises and Prayers of the day. Being a person who thrives on structure, this is the perfect set up for me!

Luckily I had an old cute journal, with, yes, just one entry, so I tore it out and started fresh. And I can proudly say I have written in it every day for ONE WHOLE WEEK, which is seriously like a century in journal world. The nice thing is I get to reflect on the blessings in my day and the things I want to change too. And it is sooo much easier to pray when I can focus on writing it down! It's been a really cool experience!
 
So then after starting this I was like on a journal kick. I wanted like 7 more for anything and everything.  But I knew that would lead me right back to a one hit wonder and I would quit them all. 

I had heard and seen pictures of this "book" called Wreck This Journal. Last week while in a bookstore in Boulder I couldn't help but find and buy one. It's not like any other journal you have ever seen. The premise of the journal is destruction, to absolutely thrash the book to the point of no return. Each page has a different prompt or idea of how to destroy the book. 

(This is what it looks like when you buy it..)


Now for an OCD/control-freak/ perfectionist like myself that sounds like the worst nightmare. Destroying something on purpose, allowing yourself to let go of control even if it is just of a silly book, and creating something that is not perfect. Good thing there is a warning for people like me right inside on the first page..

"Live more recklessly".. righhtt.. cause thats what I need. 

I think the instructions stressed me out even more..

A. I freaked out when it told me to do every page because some of the prompts are more than questionable. 
B. Instructions should never be "up for interpretation" thats why they are called instructions. 
C. "Work against your better judgement." Really? because I'm pretty sure it should be the other way around. 

But I figured I had spent to $15 bucks, I might as well make the most of it. So I did the first prompt. "Crack the Spine."

I dont think you understand how wonderful it was to snap something in half. To tear, bend, and shake the little book till I broke its back. Surprisingly, not all that stressful. 


Some prompts were more stressful than others where I had to step back and say " It's ok to ruin this. It's ok to throw this book on the ground. After all that is what the instructions say to do..."


After 5 days I have done quite a few and some I am saving for when I have loosened up a bit. But here are some examples of pages I may or may not have done.

Top Left: Bring the book in the shower. Not done.
Top Right: Document your dinner. Rub, Smear, Splatter your food. Use as a napkin. Done, obvi. It looks totally gross cause it really is. 
Bottom Left: Cut through several layers. Done, but not pictured. 
Bottom Right: Trace everything in your bag. Allow the lines to overlap. Done and soo stressful.

So far I have worked on 19 pages, but none of them are completed pages. I know I will keep adding. 

Like today, I found a bow and stapled it on the front. Just so people know its a girl book, not a boy book. 

I have really enjoyed using this particular journal as a creative outlet, because I cant pull out my craft supplies anytime and this I can do anywhere. 

All in all, Ive been transformed into a full on journal girl even if they are both a bit unorthodox.. but that's kinda me in a nutshell anyways!

Until Next Time,

Jasmine 


No comments:

Post a Comment